Sunday, October 5, 2008

a beat of my own

I have never met anyone who views dancing with a little bit more opposition than I do. Perhaps I never will. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against dancing. Dancing per se, that is. Me, dancing, is another thing- that would be the problem. Let's just say that I have a beat of my own. One that could not converge to the beat of a dance.

I remember being asked a hypothetical question. It went like this, 'If you could duplicate a talent from a known personality , what would it be?' That one was easy. I didn't break out a sweat. I answered, 'Maja Salvador's dancing prowess.' **grin**

Not being able to dance has never been a hindrance for me. Once a year field demos from elementary to high school proved to be an annoyance more than an obstacle. Stepping into college, however, is a totally different thing. Taking up Mass Communication, well.. I guess somehow, dancing came as a requirement, a package at the very least. We are taught about the different medias, wherein the theater is one, which meant dancing, dancing and **swallow** more dancing...

Not being able to dance suddenly became an insecurity. I have never thought of it more negatively. In a world where almost everyone, and I mean 'everyone' can dance, I'm at odds. If only dancing was like 'cooking' that if you don't know how, you can always practice and there's a very good chance that you will learn. Dancing is not like that. Let's be real. If you're not gifted with that talent, you will never learn. **sigh**

I will never step on stage if only to dance. There are a lot more ways to humiliate myself besides that. I'd rather get hit by a bicycle and die on the spot. What could be more humiliating than that. Academically wise, I'd rather fail than dance. I can take a 5.0. **hyperventilate** ...well... I guess I could.

No comments: